Chicago, a must-see in the US
This is why:
- Great architecture. Not that we’re such great connoiseurs, but Frank Lloyd Wright’s Robie House, Frank Gehry’s Pritzer Pavilion and the Big John skyscraper – the John Hancock Center are all very impressive buildings. Don’t miss the boat tour. It’s the perfect way to discover all the Windy City’s architectural wonders.
- Water. Lake Michigan is one of North America’s five largest lakes and is located at its southernmost point. If you walk, run or cycle along the coastline, you can see the city’s breathtaking skyline. And before we forget: Chicago also has a beach near the city. A great place to visit in the summer!
- Sports. Everyone in Chicago is obsessed with sports. Baseball, basketball, ice-hockey, American football, soccer, … Whether it’s live or on TV, in Chicago sports means pure fun. The stadiums are absolute landmarks (check Wrightley field!) and the hotdogs you can buy there are quite tasteful.
- Mmm… Food! You may not expect it but Chicago is a true Walhalla for foodies. Fine dining or authentic and simple food, but always delicious.
- Music and festivals. Blues, soul, jazz, gospel, hip-hop, … music is very much alive in Chicago and the roots of many great names lie right here. From March to September there are many great festivals to discover. An absolute must!
Where to stay?
Hotel Lincoln – near Lake Michigan – ask for a room with a view on the lake and have a cocktail in the cosy rooftop-bar. The rooms are fine but somewhat small.
Hotel Dana – right in the city centre, near the Magnificent Mile (shopping!). It has modern rooms with lots of natural light.
Where to eat? Our three favourite places (book your table in advance!)
Girl and the Goat http://www.girlandthegoat.com/ Exquisite cuisine!
North Pond http://www.northpondrestaurant.com/ at walking distance from hotel Lincoln – at the end of a pond – also a great place to brunch.
Longman & Eagle http://www.longmanandeagle.com/eat/ great food and drinks
What to do?
Glide up the Sears Tower and enjoy the dazzling view in the glass boxes.
Second City Theater: the first improvisation theatre ever in the US http://www.secondcity.com/shows/chicago/
Take the boat tour - http://www.chicagotraveler.com/boat_tours.htm
Visit a sports game – have a look at http://chicago.org/ticketsevent/sports